An idea

Hey guys, Have you ever heard a song and thought “this song could be great, only if I change some details”? Well, I don’t know if it’s legal or morally correct(?), but I was hearing a song called “Lay all your love on me” from ABBA, and I loved the instrumentals, but I didn’t like the lyrics, so I wanted to compose the very opposite of the lyrics with the original instrumentals. And then hear it, and have it only for me. If you like, I would love to hear another similar things like this, haha.

1 Like

Holy moly I feel you. Almost sure it’s not legal to do something like that commercially… but god knows how I turn ‘slip’ to ‚sleep’ in a child friendly, positive thought affirming lullaby version for my son :)))
And only my hard drive knows what I do to songs in general, I doubt any of the artists I cover would be happy with me changing melodies and harmonies or singing other stuff along because I feel like :grimacing::full_moon_with_face:
Personally I consider this desire to mess with other songs to be sort of mirroring my own musical immaturity and lack of confidence to let my own stuff flow freely. But that’s just me :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

What are your alternative lyrics? I’d love to read it :blush:

1 Like

Oh,the lullaby of Slip, I want to hear it!
So here it is, my personal “Lay all your love on me” version, for you :smiley:.

Spanish:

Da a todos tu amor

Desde que te conocí
he entendido lo que es el amor.

Generoso y vasto,
a todos puede ser entregado.

De formas varias se presenta,
no sólo a Eros representa.

Da a todos tu amor,
da a todos tu amor.

Tus manos tomo y de tu boca escucho
la iluminación.

Da a todos tu amor,
da a todos tu amor.

English:

Since I met you
I have understood what love is.

Generous and vast,
it can be given to all.

In various forms it presents itself,
not only to Eros it represents.

Give to all your love,
give to all your love.

Your hands I take, and from your mouth I hear
enlightenment.

Give to all your love,
give to all your love.

I hope you like it, haha.

1 Like

Wonderful! I have never paid attention to those original lyrics, now I think it was the first time I actually comprehended it. I can’t stress how ambivalent I feel about it, there should be a “TW: toxic love” above it. It makes me think because that’s what so many people still strive for and consider valuable. I think the authors wouldn’t use certain expressions today and it says a lot about hmmm maybe past generations? There’s something I can’t find words for. Great job turning it around, made me sigh in relief :heart:
I also like your English translations, they preserve the fluency and the poetic feel to the lyric (I don’t speak Spanish so can’t compare).

I don’t have it recorded, I just sing it with a soothing voice and since my son is the biggest Elliot’s fan in alpha generation, I preserve the construction just changing the message. Here goes:

I will keep watching you
Dance around in your love
And shine bright
You’re the light I’m used to know
I do believe in fairies and tales
Hanging ‘round to make it all right
To close your eyes
You may let go now

You’re gonna
Sleep, sleep, sleep, through
Sleep, sleep, sleep through the night

What’s the matter
You don’t have enough strength
To stay awake
What you look so tired for?
You’re the light I’m used to love

…and so on :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Yeah, when I first listened “Lay all your love on me” I thought that the lyric’s author just wrote a illustration of what romantic love was for him/her,but I feel this possessive and obsessive representation of it is still alive in our actual society, maybe only where I live(?). So, I thought I had to modify it with my ideology, and there it is!

About the Sleep lullaby, i love it!

I am very honoured that you liked my version :blush:

1 Like

As long as you mean „the world”…:joy: where are you from? I mean - it’s a stereotype about Latino cultures and I do believe that some small part of stereotypes in general might be statistically backed up. But primarily possessiveness and jealousy come from a spectrum of issues that have one thing in common - low self esteem. And that happens everywhere in the world, sadly.

Awww thank you! It works as a charm on my little one :blush: well I am honored you liked it as well :blush:

I live in Argentina, and I had observed this behaviour on many people. Jealousy seems to be a way to keep the other individual attached, and by showing it they consider that this will appeal to the vanity and egocentrism of the object of their affection. In this way, the other feels obliged to reciprocate and submit in order to keep getting that attention (I am not saying that he/she should be aware of such behavior). But of course, I consider that every relationship that has these characteristics present can have them for various reasons, beyond insecurity and feeling the other as an object in possession that must be maintained at all costs, even denying the freedom to communicate with these possible threats (other men or other women). It would be good to compose a song from the perspective of a person who is eaten away by jealousy.

1 Like

Yeah that’s basically how it works and this is a “river topic” as we say it in Polish, means there is soooo much you can talk and talk about regarding it.

I have attempted it several times but I get stuck on the fact that I would have to write a bunch of songs, each with a different vibe because that many faces this problem has. I can’t just pick one to go with. And I feel it doesn’t deserve that much of my attention. I feel someone like Sevdaliza or Son Lux would give it justice both lyrically and musically (other than @elliotmoss of course :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:)
I bet there already are tons of songs like that but somehow I haven’t stumbled upon them (or I have but as a non-native English speaker missed the lyrics). Have you tried to write one?

After this conversation, I’ll compose one about it!

I feel someone like Sevdaliza or Son Lux would give it justice both lyrically and musically (other than @elliotmoss of course :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:)
I bet there already are tons of songs like that but somehow I haven’t stumbled upon them (or I have but as a non-native English speaker missed the lyrics). Have you tried to write one?
[/quote]

I know one Spanish artist called Rosalia who wrote an entire album about a difficult relationship and about jealousy too. The album it’s called El mal querer. Here’s a link to one of the songs from the album, if you want to listen to it.

I’m already on it :sweat_smile: we can compare our takes and points of view later!

Didn’t she collaborate with James Blake? Their work was fantastic if that’s the one. “Barefoot in the park”, I love this song.
What you shared here is great too, the video is very interesting and cool to analyze especially that I understand nothing from Spanish. I’m going to listen more of her stuff now for sure :blush::blush::blush:

1 Like

I’m glad you liked his music. Here’s the song, I’m not entirely convinced it came out perfect, but I like it. I look forward to your version so we can talk about it.

Spanish(if you want to translate it c:)

Se que tu ojo me persigue en la calle.
Corro entre la gente, pocas palabras
doy a quien es una amenaza para ti

Me repliego, tu dictado me dice cómo.
Y no sé elegir, mi libertad o tú.

¿Amor? Tortuoso me resulta, pero tu
dulce lengua me convence, solo algunas veces,
que no.

Que no es así.

Entre tú y yo me debato.

English:

I know your eye follows me in the street.
I run among the people, few words
I give to the one who is a threat to you.

I fold over, your dictation tells me how.
And I don’t know what to choose,
my freedom or you.

Love? Torturous it is to me, but your sweet tongue convinces me, only sometimes,
that no.

That it is not so.

Between you and me I struggle.

1 Like

Well I went the straightforward way here :upside_down_face: I also quoted a line from Gooey by Glass Animals there, I find it peculiar to be placed here this way.

Sunshine in our eyes
Reflecting other souls
Flaws in our sacred space
And their foul desires

You don’t know people
They don’t care about you
Like I do
You don’t know how beautiful you are

Innocence in gestures
Intimidating smile
Baby I want best for you so take my hand and come
But how can I believe you, how can I be nice
I see the way your eyes wander
Epiphany lies

You think I don’t know you
You think you can hide it
But you’re mine
Even if you’re only beautiful outside

You search for what I’m missing
But I won’t admit
That you love me, only I don’t love myself
And what comes out instead is that you’re nothing without me

1 Like

So to me what you wrote pretty much depicts the inner dilemma and thoughts that are genuine and truly come from within.
I like it a lot how you managed to dive inside the mind of another person and unapologetically be that person (‘yourself’)
It’s all that can be spoken anyway but I feel I approached the topic in a less subtle, more literal way, curious what you think about it.
I love your style, so minimalistic yet delivering the message on point :blush::heart:

1 Like

It scares me, because it’s so genuine. The part that really catches my attention is “Sunshine in our eyes
Reflecting other souls”, what did you want to express in those two verses? I take it to mean something associated with the fact that, from the perspective of the controlling subject, the person he is jealous of is interested in other people, but it’s just his paranoia talking.

The verse “Epiphany lies” makes me think of the other person realizing that his freedom is being vetoed, but the subject oppressing him doesn’t want him to see it.

I love it so much!

I love your style, so minimalistic yet delivering the message on point
[/quote] Thank you so much, I am very glad you liked it!!!

1 Like

I’m not sure if I’m getting it right but to me it shows how the controlling person sees themselves as a victim and their assumptions about the subject mirror their own harmful behaviors. And that’s showing how they suffer from their own actions blaming the other side

Did you mean something like “it’s me not you who struggles between the two of us” or is it the continuation of dillema from the previous quote?

1 Like

I’m also very happy you liked it :grin:

Yes that’s exactly what I meant - I considered the word “people” instead of “souls” but I think it’s more penetrating to the mind of a controlling person to have it pointed out that the potential threat is something more than a body you can see and estimate the “danger” with a glance, that triggers paranoia about what you cannot immediately notice.

That is a very valid interpretation. Actually, it is about false accusations and a very particular situation I have in mind. I’m glad this is the way you interpretate it because it felt like it only makes sense to me and I don’t intend to share the background :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

I fold over, your dictation tells me how.

And I don’t know what to choose,
my freedom or you
[/quote]

I’m not sure if I’m getting it right but to me it shows how the controlling person sees themselves as a victim and their assumptions about the subject mirror their own harmful behaviors. And that’s showing how they suffer from their own actions blaming the other side

—> In these verses I allude to how the person who is under the control of the other behaves under the dictates of the possessive subject, it is something I have lived. It is to be aware of your actions and what the other could misinterpret and in the end, you have to manage under the guidelines of the subject who is jealous of you.

Between you and me I struggle.
[/quote]

Did you mean something like “it’s me not you who struggles between the two of us” or is it the continuation of dillema from the previous quote?
[/quote]

—> It is a continuation of what you previously quoted. I try to illustrate the difficult decision between being with that person you love and at the same time, knowing that you can’t because it hurts you, but nevertheless, holding out hope that this individual will change, and that keeps you tied down.

Oh I thought the whole lyric was supposed to represent the point of view of the controlling person, sorry. Still - amazing how another person can give a whole new meaning to our words. I am surprised with your interpretation of that verse of mine, even though it was different than my intention, I 100% agree with it.
And it’s also interesting that I put my own meaning to your lyrics and it just fits (to me) in spite of your thought being quite opposite to it.

What a cool experiment! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

I think we were both able to express those painful experiences in a beautiful and raw way. In my composition I wanted to convey that feeling of constant persecution, and in yours I feel those possessive intentions so clear that they are frightening. But our own visions are alive in our lyrics. It is simply wonderful.

Thank you so much, it was very fun and deep!

1 Like

Sometimes, when the description is ambiguous compared to the subject itself, the difference between the picture painted and the level of actual darkness behind it is so huge that the original thing fades out completely. I want to preserve it, even if it does make people (and me, ouch) uncomfortable.

@Ada_Soulful i think what we did here is so cool :grin: I mean the whole thread haha. Thank you too! I really loved this :heart:

1 Like