VCR machine

I was listening to “VCR machine” and the truth is that I felt portrayed. When I was hospitalized for certain health problems, I listened to my neighbors in the same room talking about topics that no one went deeper into, and then they would repeat the same topics again, with different words, but with the same tendency to decay and be forgotten. When I left there, I began to see the same thing happening everywhere, and I get frustrated when it happens to myself. My goal in a conversation is to get something out of it, to learn, to listen and be listened to, and not have it remain a vain and insignificant exchange of words. Of course I’ve had those conversations where it seems like two people just want to not be in silence, seeing each other’s faces. I want to ask you something, Elliot, did you want to tell us an experience through that song?

1 Like

VCR Machine is about two people refusing to admit that they’re falling apart. And instead reusing many of the same conversations and interactions, many from when it was better, to create a picture of something functional. The idea of it being a VCR meant that these times had long passed, and every time you replay them, they degrade a little.

2 Likes

Wow, it’s magnificent and completely different of what I had interpreted. The background is exquisite. Is there a song or various of them from the album “Highspeeds” that are your favourites?

Thank you! I think the ones that still resonate with me the most are Highspeeds, Even Great Things, and Pattern Repeating.

2 Likes

If I have to state one thing, it’s that I love the whole album. Not one song fails to be wonderful in all its aspects. Thank you Elliot, for giving so many beautiful things to the world, and to your fans.

2 Likes

Just wanted to chime in and say VCR Machine was the first song of yours I heard and was instantly a fan. The production and composition is so hauntingly beautiful, and of course the lyrics as @Ada_Soulful has already said :relieved:

2 Likes